08 November 2015

Ostia Antica

On our last day in Rome, we visited the ancient Roman port city of Ostia, about 35 min outside Rome. As much as I enjoyed the previous two days, this visit was the highlight hands down. We were able to explore the well-preserved Roman ruins of an entire city with relatively few tourists to get in our way. It was also much cooler nearer the coast than in Rome, which made the day even more pleasant. This is the kind of ancient Roman city I'm used to seeing, so I was thrilled to be able to share this one with people I love.

All of our group pictures are on Chloe's phone, so I'm afraid for now I just have shots of the incredible archaeology, which no doubt will be interesting to only me. You're welcome.

A family tomb in the Necropolis #iloveagoodniche
The Capitolium, a.k.a temple to Jupiter, Juno and Minerva
Ostia's local tavern circa 2nd centuryAD, give or take a couple centuries



 

Nothing like an ancient communal Toilet. #pottyparty
One of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters, still used today.

A mosaic floor in one of the city's bathhouses. #housegoals

No comments:

Post a Comment