16 November 2015

Goodbye Birmingham

Mom and Bob were pretty much done by the time we made it to Lichfield, so the only thing they ended up seeing in Birmingham was the university. Not gonna lie, that was a little disappointing seeing as how it is my home (even if it will no longer be where I live). But such is life. And at least campus put on an especially spectacular display for our visit!
Chloe met us and went around campus with us.
Bob was pretty impressed with Old Joe.
#ourclocktoweriscoolerthanyours
The library, soon to be the Old Library... a place I avoided at all costs because it is the least conducive interior to studying and learning that I've ever experienced at a university. Which is probably why they are building a new library (far left).
The Arts building covered in ivy,
with the Muirhead Tower (my building) on the far left.
Old Joe is really going to miss me.
A gorgeous campus + autumn + splendid sunset = actual magic
I rest my case. #rainbowmagic
After showing them campus, we took the bus into town where we ate dinner at the new Grand Central Birmingham (aka New Street train station). From there we headed over to the chapel in Harborne where we arrived just as Institute was finishing. This was the hard part--all the goodbyes. I did pretty well at holding myself together, at least until I got home and cried myself to sleep that night. And the night after that. And several nights since. #allthefeels

Mark--we went to Nottingham, FSY and Edinburgh together; Joe (our Institute teacher)--a friend and mentor who always helps me stay optimistic and focus on the eternal perspective; Matt--I initially came to know him as Sarah's BF, but he soon became a trusted and loyal friend in his own right; Jon--a dear friend who became like a brother to me... for better or worse, and with everything that entails. I will miss them all.
#QueenChloe
Djeni--one of the sweetest and toughest women I will ever meet.
Kynna--kind to her core, she couldn't do or say a mean thing if her life depended on it.
Vanessa and Chloe--the younger sisters I never had
JMace. #brotherfromanothermother
Markus Parkus--my right-hand man in keeping YSA Gospel Doctrine en point. 
I didn't get a picture with everyone, but I'm so grateful to the Birmingham YSA who allowed me to become one of them, and to all of the incredible friends I've made across the country in my time living in the UK. I have changed for the better because of each and every one of you, and I'm so very grateful I can call you my friends.

The next day I took mom on the grand tour of Lichfield, which is another of my favourite places in England. It was a low-key day, and I loved being able to show her around this town that has become my second home in the UK. It was a really wonderful day that I will treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment