22 January 2014

London Eye and Waterloo

From Parliamentary Square I walked across Westminster Bridge (over the River Thames) to the South Bank where I passed the London Eye, which is the iconic ferris wheel-like attraction. 



I really love lamp posts.



From there I walked to the BFI IMAX by the Waterloo Bridge where I watched Jerusalem The Movie in 3D. I've been waiting for months for this movie to come to the UK, and it premiered last week in London, so it was PERFECT TIMING! The movie was absolutely beautiful and it made me heartsick for Jerusalem. 

Along the walk, there was some poetry art along the Waterloo underpass that I loved, so I looked it up when I got home. Here is 'Eurydice' by Sue Hubbard:

I am not afraid as I descend,
step by step, leaving behind the salt wind
blowing up the corrugated river,


the damp city streets, their sodium glare
of rush-hour headlights pitted with pearls of rain;
for my eyes still reflect the half remembered moon.


Already your face recedes beneath the station clock,
a damp smudge among the shadows
mirrored in the train's wet glass,


will you forget me? Steel tracks lead you out
past cranes and crematoria,
boat yards and bike sheds, ruby shards


of roman glass and wolf-bone mummified in mud,
the rows of curtained windows like eyelids
heavy with sleep, to the city's green edge.


Now I stop my ears with wax, hold fast
the memory of the song you once whispered in my ear.
Its echoes tangle like briars in my thick hair.


You turned to look.
Second fly past like birds.
My hands grow cold. I am ice and cloud.


This path unravels.
Deep in hidden rooms filled with dust
and sour night-breath the lost city is sleeping.


Above the hurt sky is weeping,
soaked nightingales have ceased to sing.
Dusk has come early. I am drowning in blue.


I dream of a green garden
where the sun feathers my face
like your once eager kiss.


Soon, soon I will climb
from this blackened earth
into the diffident light.

No comments:

Post a Comment