18 October 2013

Liverpool and Preston

Last weekend the YSA (young single adults) went on a Temple trip up to the Preston Temple. But since we had a few hours in the morning, we made a pitstop at Albert Dock in Liverpool.






I don't know what this building is, but it's beautiful, and an interesting contrast to the rest of the city that is either industrial brick buildings or modern glass and steel constructions.

After walking around the dock a bit, my friend Camie and I went into the Maritime Museum. 

Then we ventured over to the Museum of Liverpool, which was also nearby. Conveniently enough there happened to be an Irish Festival at the latter on the day we were there. I took a video of some little girls doing some Irish dancing, but for some reason it won't load, so a picture of the musicians will have to suffice.

 There were several of these bizarre painted statues outside the museum... reminding me of the painted Berlin Bears and Cincinnati Pigs I saw years ago. The only problem is that I had no notion what this particular creature was supposed to be...

...but fear not. I found the answer! Superlambananas, apparently. Don't ask me what in creation THAT is supposed to be, though. haha

I thought this was going to be Elvis. Apparently this is the British Elvis, Billy Fury. Apparently he was a big deal. No one I was with had ever heard of him. But even THEY all know who Elvis is. Sorry Billy. Better luck next time?

And just in case you could manage to forget that Liverpool was the home of the Beatles, their faces are plastered everywhere, in all kinds of creative ways. This one was by far my favorite.
Can  you tell what it's made out of???? 
Jelly Belly Jelly Beans!!!
(FYI: ERYN SINCLAIR... this store was MADE for YOU!
Is it just me or does the guy on the bottom right look more like a 40yr old Harry Potter than a Beatle?

Obviously, though, the highlight of the trip was going to the temple. We got there late and were in a hurry, so I wasn't able to get my own picture of the temple, but this one is sufficiently gorgeous for my purposes here.  :)

One of the things I've missed the most living here in Birmingham is being close enough to go to the temple often. So I absolutely relished the opportunity to be back inside the House of the Lord. Perhaps because it's been a few weeks, or maybe more likely because of everything I've been learning from life, institute, and General Conference over those weeks, I felt like the windows of heaven were opened and I learned SO MUCH this time around. And I had a really special experience with my ancestor whose name I took through. There are no words to express just how much I love my family, no matter how long ago they may have lived! Ann Mather was born in 1656, so she'd been waiting more than 300 years to make those sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. The love I felt for her was overwhelming, as was the feeling of her gratitude, joy, and sheer excitement that surrounded me during the session.  I was so grateful to the chance to go to the Temple, and looking forward to going again as soon as possible!



No comments:

Post a Comment