01 January 2013

Gluten-free is good for me.

I LOVE me so gluten. Or rather, I LOVE me all the things that contain gluten. I've learned enough about all of my health complications, however, that I know I really need to go gluten-free. It's expensive, and I am poor. It's challenging and sometimes limiting in social situations, and I've been too lazy and easy-going. It's true that I am in no immediate danger by consuming gluten. BUT I need to do all I can to keep my body as happy as possible. It's prone to fits of rage and long-term pouting, in the forms of searing pain, throbbing, and extreme fatigue. For those who know nothing about gluten, all of those symptoms can be aided by decreasing/cutting gluten from your diet. So I'm going to try it. I did it partially in July, but I was doing SO many other things that it's hard to know if it made a difference. But for the month of January, I'm going to do my absolute best to not consume any gluten. And I'm going to keep track of how my body reacts so I know if it helps enough to make it permanent. The idea of permanently being off gluten is a little overwhelming, so I'm starting with just 31 days. I can do ANYTHING for 31 days! And I'm sure if I can make it 31 days then I can make it a new lifestyle. For those interested in learning more about gluten and going gluten-free, here's a blog that I LOVE: http://glutenfreegirl.com. There are lots of them, but that's one of my favorites.

And heads up to all my friends and family I'll be seeing over the next month: when you invite me over for food or a party, PLEASE don't be offended that I bring my own dinner or snacks to enjoy in your company. Your food is ALL delicious! I LOVE food. Especially when it's free and made with so much love! But alas, my body is a gift from God. In fact, it's one of the reasons why I came to earth. So I need to learn how best to take care of it. So just enjoy my delightful company and don't worry about what I'm going to eat. I'll be doing enough of that on my own!

1 comment:

  1. Dana! Sorry to annoy you with so many comments, but I wanted to let you know something that I'm learning about--natural yeast. If you use natural yeast to make bread instead of store-bought synthetic yeast, it breaks down all the gluten and still get all the yummy nutrients from wheat. I just got a recipe book for Christmas "The Art of Baking with Natural Yeast" and so far it is fascinating. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete