12 June 2013

Delightful Denver

My sister-in-law, Liz, just concluded her experience as a surrogate after delivering twins via cesarian a couple weeks ago. While I have much I could say in praise of her and her selfless actions (which I am convinced I couldn't do), this post centers around the REAL reason why I was called to Denver to help out over the last couple weeks: Lillian.

For anyone who knows Logan, it should not be too hard to imagine his daughter, Lilly. She IS DEFINITELY a Daddy's girl in EVERY sense. She looks like Logan's face was put on a black girl, expressions and all. She never stops moving. And despite not being quite able to say real words just yet, she never stops talking. We always warned Logan that karma would come to him via his children. And so it has! haha But in the best possible way. She is as sweet as she is feisty, and boy can she be feisty!

For anyone who knows me, you'll know that for having spent a total of one week with her over the 19 previous months of her life, I have been completely enchanted by my niece. She was born while I was on my mission, and I'd only been able to see her twice since I returned. So Tia Dana was more than happy to answer the call to care for Lilly for a couple weeks while Liz was in the hospital.

We had a blast! Seriously! I think one of my favorite moments was our dance party we had one night, just rocking out and giggling throughout the house. She would spin and spin and spin until she fell down from dizziness, and then ask me to pick her up and spin while she "recovered." It was in that moment, only two days in to my trip, that I knew Lilly and I would be great friends, not just distant family members that you love but don't really know. My heart melted and I was instantly hers. No matter the diapers, the tantrums, the meltdowns, the messes. I knew I wanted to be a part of it ALL, just so that I could be a part of her life forever. And I hope I am.

I imagine that's much how it feels to be a parent. Only with a lot less sleep and a lot more worries.

There are just no words to express how much I love this little girl. But maybe a few pictures will help supplement the language barrier.








And just so Liz and Logan don't feel left out, I thought I'd include a few shots of them from when we took pictures at the temple. Lilly so rudely decided that our planned photo shoot would be the ideal nap time. Figures.







Needless to say, it was a delightful two weeks with lots of bonding, among other things. And I miss that little munchkin (though she's not so little, measuring past my hips at only 20 months old) every minute. I especially miss her baby kisses, despite them becoming more open-mouthed each time. haha  Hasta Septiembre chiquita. Tu tia te quiere mija!!

No comments:

Post a Comment